Dear Community Member,
I am writing to you as a parent of three Hilton School District students, as a teacher in the Rush-Henrietta school district, and as a lifelong resident of Rochester, New York. I want to tell you about our second annual 5K for FA in hopes you will support us.
My son Eli, who is eleven years old, has Fanconi anemia. The four finger hand print here is his left hand.
Fanconi anemia (FA) is a rare, inherited cancer-prone disease that often leads to leukemia, bone marrow failure, and physical abnormalities. Eli has already gone through a bone marrow transplant to restore his immune system and has had several surgeries. But because of FA’s link to cancer, this isn’t just about Eli. Fanconi anemia research benefits everyone. We’ve all been touched by cancer, and FA research furthers the advancement of cancer treatments and early detection. Because FA is a DNA repair disease, Eli is 500-700 times more likely to develop cancer, and at an early age. And the scarier truth is that individuals with Fanconi anemia cannot tolerate conventional cancer treatments like chemotherapy and radiation. Therefore our only hope for Eli’s future is to prevent cancer by living a healthy lifestyle, and to raise enough money for research so that the science catches up. Our event last year brought in over $12,500 for the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund.
As event director and more importantly as Eli’s mom, I am asking for help from within my community to help defray the cost of putting on this event. It’s a great opportunity to get your name out there and support a worthy cause. We anticipate several hundred participants (last year we logged 160+), and the day will include a 5K cross country trail race/walk, a 1-K Kids’ Fun Run, and a variety of other family friendly activities like Zumba, facepainting, music, bounce house, and prize drawings. Because we’ve partnered with the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund, all donations, either financial or in-kind, are tax deductible. This will be a publicized event with media coverage. I would love to have your support as well as your presence on May 7, 2015.
Any amount that you are able to give is appreciated and donors’ names or business names will be added to our “Thank You” banner at the event. Donations totaling $300 or more will get your company’s name or logo on our race t-shirt and your name/logo in a prominent spot on the “Thank You” banner. For gifts of $500 or more, we invite you to also post your own sign at our event and we will announce you as a “top sponsor.” We invite top sponsors to place coupons or flyers in our swag bags for our registered participants. Top sponsor names and logos will be also posted on our race registration page. Deadline for sign and t-shirt mention is April 17, 2015.
All event donations are payable to me: Mary Ann Lana, 133 Collamer Road, Hilton, NY 14468. For item donations, contact me for pick-up. All donors receive a thank you letter from the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund, which will include the amount or value of the donation and the FARF Tax ID number for your records.
I hope you will consider supporting this local event that is so important to the entire Rochester community and the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund. If you’re interested in registering for the event visit https://runsignup.com/Race/NY/Hilton/5KforFA
I hope you can make it out on race day to be a part of this amazing, inspiring event.
Mary Ann Lana
Give-away items for 200 participants. The deadline for us to order the three custom printed items is March 21. Contact me to make arrangements as these are first come, first serve.
- “Swag bag” options:
- $150: 200 lip balm tubes custom printed with your 1 color business logo.
- $100: 250 pens custom printed with your business name.
- Coupons for discounted products/services are accepted
- Gift cards are accepted
- Virtual gifts are accepted (online discounts, coupon codes, memberships, trips, etc.)
- If you have other existing items for bags, contact us and we can work something out.
Prizes and Snacks Needed (please contact to make arrangements):
- Gift baskets for all ages, male and female
- Loads of give-away items for a post-race raffle drawing (valued at $10-20, for a wide age range of race participants) gift cards, event tickets, toys, games,
- Loads of large prizes for participants and fundraisers, valued at $50-300. These will be for the top six fundraisers (two under 12, two teens, two 20+) and 16 top racers (8 male and 8 female) ages 7-10; 11-13; 14-17; 18-21; 22-30; 31-40; 41-50; 51 and over
- 8 Cases of bottled water
- 200 Cereal Bars
- 5 dozen cut bagels with cream cheese
- Coffee for before, during, and after race.
- Breakfast pizzas (3 sheets) for race day set up volunteers
- Golf carts (2) for duration of race